to ponder:

To think, reflect, consider, contemplate, mull, weigh, ruminate, deliberate, meditate about something, to weigh in the mind

with thoroughness and care(fully)

for a long time

especially before making or reaching a decision or a conclusion

Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Developing Thoughts about the Prediction of Another Earthquake.

(I wrote something more extensive yesterday that I will post soon that gives more of the biblical background to this)


Man it was good to get out of Christchurch today and get a bit of a perspective on the wave of concern about a prediction of a major earthquake in Christchurch on September 28. Sitting with a group of Christian leaders involved in national church leadership, including some recognised by their churches as prophets, when I mentioned this, the response was interesting - there was a singular lack of interest – like “well we all know that those predictions never come true” - and relative disbelief that there could be widespread concern in the Christian community. However what did provoke a response was when I told them about the response of some to think about packing up their stuff and leaving the city for the day – the response was “well that’s a Christian response! NOT!” Perhaps as my friend Blair the social worker says it’s all a sign of the level of anxiety we are all under here.

It is interesting that it has been such a struggle for some to get a clear conviction about this. “Like I am 99% sure this is not right ....but...I have a little niggle”. Maybe people need to talk together and we get a developing conviction.

So again I do not purport to have the final word on this but this is my developing perspective – as I reflect and as I listen to what others are thinking:

I totally disagree with the spirituality and theology behind the prediction.

I am convinced this reflects what happens when the intercessory and prophetic movement is not (in Pentecostal language) in submission to the apostolic – in less strange language – that this subjective spirituality is not linked to our basic mandate which is to be agents of God’s redemptive kingdom, winning the lost, making disciples, building churches and being salt and light in our communities. The Bible does indeed talk about God’s wrath and judgement. However it shows God took his wrath upon himself at the cross. It then talks about a future final judgement when God will step in to stop the brokenness of the world and renew his creation. In between God commissions his people to GO – it is the age of grace, of the church, of mission, in the power of the Holy Spirit. When Jesus spoke about judgement he spoke about judgement at the end of the age, final judgement, even of cities. Jesus mission was good news to the poor, opening the eyes of the blind, setting free the captives and declaring the day of God’s favour (and he stopped the quotation there saying that was now fulfilled – he specifically left out a mission of declaring the vengeance of God). Paul followed this same strategy. The prophetic needs to be seen as one input into THIS agenda. For its own health it needs to be in relation to apostolic, pastoral, evangelistic and teaching gifts.

Part of this way of understanding the world is that we currently live in a good but broken world where tragedy happens. Romans 8 says we live in a world awaiting liberation from groaning, suffering and frustration. We are called to groan with this world in its brokenness. And to be God’s agents of his kingdom in this world.

The prediction also portrays a false sense of prophecy. Those who function in this area say ‘don’t do dates”. Why? The fulfilment of God purposes are always complex and mysterious and almost never as obvious as we think. Even Jesus didn’t do dates. Why?

One good reason is the clear teaching that prophecy is partial, limited and in unclear riddles. This side of eternity we don’t get crystal clear insight. We walk by faith not by sight. We get glimpses.

But the other main reason is that fundamentally prophecy is not about prediction. It is about a call to action now, based on if you keep doing this bad thing then this bad future will happen but if you change and do this good thing then this other good future will happen.

So in that God is not releasing his wrath on Christchurch, that the earthquakes should not be seen as God’s judgement on Christchurch and that prophets should not stray into date-setting, the usual response would be to ignore this kind of thing.

But even if I disagree with the basic theological perspective and the understanding of prophecy.... well all of us have limited perspectives... what if this person was a ‘seer’ and had perceived something even if integrated into what I consider a faulty theological framework.

What if this is God? What if this is the one case where date-setting is right? Then the big question is what should a Christian response be? Ask that question and I think that’s where some clarity finally comes.

First of all I should pray. This is really another point under the nature of prophecy. God invites his people into prayer and specifically when he warns of judgement it is actually so that his people can pray that it DOESN’T happen! Look at Abram and Sodom, look at Moses and Israel, look at God’s call to Ezekiel to find someone who would stand in the gap. If we think there is a possibility this could be true, surely our first response is “please God no.” Pray for peace for the land, pray for the settling of the quakes, pray for safety, pray that another disaster might be averted.

What else should I do?

See I used to be a missionary – we felt called to an Asian slum and so we lived among the people; later we felt called to a people in the middle of an armed conflict and so we lived among them. Now we feel called to Christchurch. So what if there is going to be a big earthquake, what if it triggers a tsunami? I live on the banks of the Heathcote. Where should I be? Might sound a bit melodramatic but shouldn’t I be there with my neighbours if a tsunami comes rumbling up the river? But what if I died? Well doesn’t that mean I am instantly ushered into glory, into the paradise of God, into the presence of God? And if it does come and I don’t die... well then I stand with my neighbours in the massive task of then rebuilding and I have to dig even deeper into Christian hope to inspire our city to hope and the challenge of Gods heart to bring recovery and rebuilding and redemption just asks even more of me!

Paul has an interesting angle on spirituality.

Philippians 1:21-26

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labour for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me.

If I die I get to be with the Lord; if I stay I get to serve God’s mission in the world.

Kind of weird that people who would think of themselves as really spiritual would be scared of dying and reluctant to be involved in mission? Just saying!

So what should we do? There’s the weird thing. But my friends might be killed? Shouldn’t I warn them? Yes but they might die tomorrow. That’s why Jesus calls us to witness to our faith through word and deed! So what’s different if I knew there was going to be an earthquake on September 28?

Well we could prepare. Yes but even the science says there are likely to be more significant aftershocks, and at some point the alpine fault will go ... not might go... it will go ... and there will be a disaster. Might be in 1000 years, might be tomorrow. So I should be prepared. I heard one expert say be ready to survive at your home for 72 hours.

See here’s the rub: whatever might happen on September 28 might happen any and every single day of my life. And while I live, I engage in loving mission in the world and in particular in the city that God has called me to and that he has called me to love. And when I die my labour in Christ is complete.

Could all end tomorrow! Could end Sept 28! Could end, for me, in 20 years, 30 years!

One last thought, bottom line, I want to listen to the wisdom of godly leaders with a track record of missional initiatives in our city, people who live out this mission and in living connection with the spirit. People like David McGregor, Sam Harvey, Chris Chamberlain, Warren Gouman, Don Scott, Chris Ponniah, Alan Jamieson, Murray Talbot, Murray Robertson, Max Palmer, Paul Bennetts, Bishop Victoria, etc etc (no offence intended to those not listed).